Between 2000 and 2004, Bruce gathered up his crew and played a series of holiday benefit shows in Asbury Park. Bruce, his buddies from the E Street Band, the Max Weinberg 7, Southside Johnny, Bobby Bandiera and others have all come together to raise money for local charities.
There have been some gems, and this is clearly one of them. There’s an intimate and cozy feel to the gig, as Bruce and his buddies rock out the small Convention Hall in Asbury Park.
Some random thoughts about this show:
- “Lucky Town” sounds fresh and alive with a full horn section.
- An amazing “E Street Shuffle”! Listen as Bruce teases the crowd beforehand: “Shhh! We gotta tune up.” Then… magic ensues.
- Listen, Patti is a very talented musician and singer. But when she sings with her heavy vibrato, I always picture someone behind her shaking her by the shoulders.
- “Blue Christmas” leans more toward Hank Williams than Elvis.
- “My City of Ruins” makes its live debut. Many don’t know that the song was written pre-9/11 – dedicated to Asbury Park.
- It doesn’t get much better than this.
Here are the charities & organizations mentioned by Bruce during the show.
The Epiphany House – www.epiphanyhouse.org – Epiphany House is committed to promoting recovery and self-sufficiency for chemically dependent women with children who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.
The Center – www.thecenterinap.com – Their mission is to be of personal service to those in the community affected by HIV disease. Both those actually living with the virus, as well as their family, friends, and caregivers.
Save Tillie – – www.savetillie.com – An all volunteer organization comprised of 1,000 friends of Asbury Park. Founded in July of 1998, their original goal of saving the Palace’s iconic Tillie image expanded in 1999 to an attempt to save the entire Palace.
Asbury Park Chamber of Commerce – www.asburyparkchamber.com
Bruce Springsteen, The Max Weinberg 7 & Friends
December 17, 2000
Asbury Park, New Jersey
Run Run Rudolph (Jimmy Vivino, vocals)
The E Street Shuffle/Move On Up
Rose (Patti Scialfa, vocals)
As Long As I Can Be With You (Patti Scialfa, vocals)
This Time It’s For Real (Southside Johnny, vocals)
Good Is Gone (Southside Johnny, vocals)
All I Needed Was You (Southside Johnny, vocals)
Shine Silently (Nils Lofgren, vocals)
Merry Christmas Baby
So Young And In Love
Roll Of The Dice
Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
My City Of Ruins
I Don’t Wanna Go Home (Southside Johnny, vocals)
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town